A Most Practical Garment



If you thought you had seen this one before, that is because this is version no.7 of Jalie 2795.  In all fairness though, it is only the second version I have made for myself.  This time however, I have deviated from the usual cotton and polyester fleece to boiled wool.  I say boiled wool because this fabric was bought on the sale table and resembles boiled wool but seems to lack some of the quality of authentic boiled wool, so I suggest this is a polyester wool mix.  It is the same fabric as I made my Sewaholic Minoru recently but I bought this piece off the remnant table for $7 and for that price I couldn't leave it there.  I know winter is on it's way out, evidenced by longer daylight hours and the fact my lawn is starting to grow, but my fabric collection is starting to push it's way through the doors to my fabric cupboard and the easiest way to fix the problem is to make up the bulky fabrics...aka winter fabrics.



I didn't change anything about the pattern for this one and made the version with the hood because I feel it has a more youthful look.  I made this jacket to wear when I walk the dog in the park and to take camping for those cool evenings outdoors. 


What I particularly like about this pattern, is the looseness of it without being over sized.  It can double up as a jacket over layers when necessary.  I also like the interesting pattern piecing which is why this is my go to pattern for hoodies and casual knit jackets.  I also really like the welted pockets, perfect for cell phones and house keys or hands when it gets a little chilly.


This jacket has already become my go to jacket this week in the wet and cold and I know already, it will become a firm favourite.

Comments

  1. I thought it was just my fabric stash growing at a rate of knots :)

    Another great jacket - after seeing all your variations I ended up buying the pattern, now I just need to find some time to make it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done another fantastic job with this pattern. Your first jacket was the one that inspired me to buy the pattern. I really want to get to this pattern before the end of the year. Thanks again for the inspiration! I like the zipper size and color you used also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, you really need to get busy with this pattern. You won't regret it. My only criticism is that the zip is not faced but I suspect this is to reduce bulk and my Kathmandu ones are the same which makes me feel a little better about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very practical and comfy looking. I'm sure it will be welcome in these last few cold days of winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts